19 November 2013

BoarderX Was Magical

How many times in your life do you get the opportunity to skate down a 14ft roll in ramp in the middle of your city. ASRA kicked some serious ass with the organisation of the first ever Australian BoarderX Series! Everything ran smoother than a baby's bottom, which allowed for one thing and one thing only... FUN!


BoarderX will go down in my memory as one of the most radical days of a skateboarding ever. I was wetting my pants with fear and excitement as I climbed up the ladder to the top of the drop in the ramp. I had witnessed a number of groms eat bitumen just a few minutes before hand and I was freaking. Some encouraging words 'just lean forward and you'll be right girl' came out of Yatedawg's mouth and it was time to 'yolo' this ramp.

Lean forward, lean forward, lean forward. Magic! I made it down in one piece with no time left to think about the rest of the course. Crossed the finish line and all i remember is hugging some little grommet because I was that excited (I don't think I had even met this kid before). What a spectacular feeling that first run was.

Skating back to the start of the course, my levels of stoke were about to reach sky rocketing levels as I watch my homie Aki Yaguchi launch down the ramp! Her facial expression was priceless, the perfect combination of fear and happiness.


As the day progressed the ASRA homedawgs thought it would be funny to put a 'little' gap in the ramp. To me this was the equivalent of being told to air the Grand Canyon. But the more I looked at it, the more I realised how possible it was. Advice was coming from left and right (the best part about the skate family) and I felt like I was ready to give this a go.

I GOT SO MUCH AIR!!!

The only catch is I got air without my skateboard, I flew for what seemed a lifetime, but I was abruptly woken by the rock hard road I had just slammed into. I still haven't worked out what was worse the pain I felt in my hip or the embarrassment I felt as the public starred me down.

There really is only one thing to do when you fall, and that is to get back up and try again. I found myself standing on top of the roll in ramp again with so much determination to land this little air. WHOOPA, NAILED IT! To anyone looking on all I had done was air a tiny little gap in the ramp, to me I had just taken on an army of 5000 strong and killed them all with my bare hands.

It didn't matter to me that I was knocked out in the first round of the competition, all that mattered was that I had done something I thought I would never be able to do. I skated something that was seriously radical, and I had so much fun doing it. I was stoked to see all the Brissy rippers having a go & even more stoked to see Aki rip up the course. BoarderX was magical, you must get yourself there next year!

Much love,

Phoebe.

Ps. Here is a photo to show you what the pros were up to, Tyler Howell showing off!



Pps. here is a super funny video of me on the news talking about BoarderX.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-11-10/world-champion-hopefuls-tear-up-the-streets/5081956

Thanks to J.D.N Photography for all the photos.



No comments:

Post a Comment